Emergency School Closings
In cases of bad weather and other local emergencies, please watch/listen to WJOL (1340am), Social Media (Facebook | Twitter), Rockdale84.org website, Blackboard Connect messages or television stations to be advised of school closings or early dismissals. School closings for any reason will be announced as soon as possible once the decision is made. If bad weather or other emergency occurs during the day, please listen to local media stations for possible early dismissal information.
For your child’s safety, make certain your child knows ahead of time where to go in case of an early dismissal. If we dismiss early for an emergency, all after-school functions are automatically cancelled.
Address and Telephone Changes
It is very important that every student maintain an up-to-date address and telephone number record at school. Please notify the office immediately of any changes including the number of someone to contact in case of emergency. For those with a TeacherEase online account, this may be completed online.
Emergency, Fire, and Disaster Drills - Information
FIRE AND DISASTER DRILLS
Each class will be given directions for fire drills. Drills will be held often during the year and should be routine. Students should follow these rules during a fire drill:
- Do not return to your homeroom during a fire drill, but follow the class out of the building.
- Upon hearing the alarm and upon a sign from the teacher, stand in the aisle at your desk, leave the room in a single file, and proceed to the designated exit.
- Be quiet, so you may hear any given directions.
- All students should walk briskly, but avoid running.
- When leaving the building your teacher will lead you far enough away from the building to avoid injury. Always face away from the building.
- The last one out of the classroom will close the door and turn off the lights.
- The teacher will take attendance outside the building.
- An Administrator will give the signal to indicate a safe return to classes.
Rockdale Emergency Crisis Plan –Information will be provided regarding our plan. Emergency drills are in two forms:
- In-School Drills
- Emergency Dismissal Drills
In-School Drills require students gather on the first floor halls/washrooms/cloakrooms/classrooms or crawl under the desks to prevent accidents caused by flying glass or objects.
Emergency Dismissal Procedures require students to be sent home. Emergency dismissal may be from school or from the Rockdale Fire Barn, Midland and Otis, if need be. Emergency disaster drills will be held every year.
Blackboard Notification Service
Rockdale School District 84 uses Blackboard Connect® service to notify/disseminate information to parents, staff, and the community. For more information about Blackboard Connect®, visit their website at www.blackboardconnect.com
These notifications and messages are regards to events of an emergency, school closing/delays, after school events, extracurricular activities, general information from the superintendent and principal, and other school-related information.
If you questions or concerns about the notification service, please call the district secretary at 815-725-5321.