1:1 Device program
As a member of the Rockdale 84 community, every student has been loaned a Chromebook device, a charger, and a Messenger Bag.
Rockdale District 84 will be integrating technology throughout the school in order to become 21st century learners in a globalized society. Our District’s 1:1 Wireless Device Program engages students’ learning and differentiates instruction by providing opportunities that will enhance collaboration, critical thinking, creativity and social skills. These tools are essential for students to compete in tomorrow’s workforce.
Parent and Student Responsibilites
- supervise child’s use of the Wireless Device at home especially when on the Internet
- discuss appropriate use of the Internet at home
- assume responsibility for any family member’s use of the Wireless Device
- use my child’s Wireless Device for school use only NOT for personal use (online shopping, movie watching, etc.)
Parents and students will:
- secure the Wireless Device and know where it is at all times
- choose a safe location to charge the Wireless Device at home and ensure a fully charged device is returned to school every day
- keep wireless device away from extreme temperatures, food, drinks, and pets (pets like to chew charging cords)
- NOT change or attempt to change the configuration of software or hardware, nor will they remove any programs, media, documents, or web history
- NOT download or attempt to install any programs, Apps, or files
- NOT attempt to repair the Wireless Device and we will not request repairs from anyone outside of District 84
- NOT sync the device to any other device that is not a District 84 device
- ensure the device is taken home immediately and secure it until the next school day
- report any problems or damage immediately to the classroom teacher
- Within 24 hours, report loss/theft of the device to the school and proper authorities; reports must be accompanied by a police report
- make the Wireless Device available for random inspection by a District 84 staff member upon request
- log in using his/her name and account that District 84 has provided
- abide by the school district’s acceptable use policy
- NOT use the Wireless Device for any illegal purpose and abide by copyright laws
- NOT access other students’ devices in any way
- share his/her school work with parents on the device weekly
- use appropriate language in all communications
- only use the hardware, configurations, and installations provided by District 84
- clean device at school only with teacher supervision
- keep labels on the Wireless Device/Messenger Bag
Wireless Device Protection Plan
Technology Fee Agreement (Required)
- The Technology fee will cover a student and his/her Wireless Device both at school and at home for educational purposes. The technology fee not only supports the District’s 1:1 program, but also covers the student from accidental damage at school or at home. All students are required to pay the technology fee. A student may opt out of taking a device home. However, the payment of the fee is still required to support the use of technology while in school.
|Technology Fee||Effective Coverage|
|Non-refundable annual fee: $50||Effective Date: date received AND agreement signed electronically|
|Coverage: repair/replacement of school issued Wireless Device (Please note the deductible schedule below)||Expiration Date: end of the school year or end of summer school programs, where applicable|
|Costs for Repair/Replacement|
|Claim||Accidental Damage Deductible||Negligent/Irresponsible/ Intentional Damage|
|1st Incident||Up to $50||Up to full replacement cost|
|2nd Incident||Up to $100||Up to full replacement cost|
|3rd Incident||Up to $150||Up to full replacement cost|
- Deductibles/claims are restructured annually. Claims from a previous school year are not used in determining the deductible for the current policy year.
- If a student is unenrolled from School District 84 for any reason, the Accidental Protection Plan becomes null and void on that date. The annual fee will not be refunded once the Wireless Device is issued.
|Coverage||Exclusions (Not covered)|
|Theft: pays for loss due to theft; the claim must be accompanied by a police report||Negligent / Irresponsible / Intentional Behavior: damage caused to D84 technology property due to negligence, irresponsibility, or intention as determined by school personnel|
i.e. Wireless Device left at the park/ unattended, Messenger Bag defaced with marker/sticker, dog urinating on charger, throwing device, altering the software and/ or operating system, etc.
Accidental damage: pays for accidental damage caused by liquid spills, drops, or any other unintentional event. Parent is responsible for the Claim 1, 2, or 3 deductible
|Electrical Surge: pays for damage due to an electrical surge||Cosmetic: damages that does not affect the functionality of the device (ie. scratches)|
|Fire: pays for damage due to fire; the claim must be accompanied by an official Fire report||Liability: District 84 is not liable for any loss, damage, (including incidental, consequential, or punitive damages) for expense caused directly or indirectly by the equipment|
|Natural Disasters: pays for loss/damage caused by natural disasters||Negligent / Irresponsible / Intentional Behavior: will result in student consequences and/or the financial responsibility to repair/replace device (at full price)|
All items in need of replacement MUST be purchased from School District 84, and the original item must be returned to the district. Checks for damaged devices, chargers, and/or messenger bags should be made payable to School District 84. Please include the words “Technology Repair” on the memo line. Wireless Devices must remain at school until fees are paid or other arrangements have been made.
|Estimated Exclusions Costs at Full Price|
|Laptop Liquid Damage||$250|
|Laptop Keyboard Replacement||$100-$150|
|Laptop Screen Repair||$100-$200|
|Damaged Power / Video / Audio port||$100-$350|
Wireless Device Guidelines for Disciplinary Actions
Any student who proves to be irresponsible through behavior, attendance, grades or any combination is subject to loss of all Wireless Device privileges. Students may earn his/her privileges back by demonstrating a positive change in behavior and an improvement in attendance and/or grades. All consequences are subject to teacher and/or administrator discretion.
|Off Task||Irresponsible/Negligent Behavior|
|Disrespect/Defiance||Safety (of self and/or others)|
|Inappropriate Use||Irresponsible/Negligent Behavior|
|Parent Contact and:|